Monday, May 28

Just Some Talented People I Know

So, recently I attended a charity concert, featuring local bands around my age. Three of the following played there, and the other I know about mostly through Twitter. 


1. Hearts of Oak
"3 part acoustic/folk(ish) band. Two guitarists, one cajon, three singers" is how they describe themselves. Now, I'm normally a stickler for rock, so I don't swing for folk often, but these guys are GOOD. Seriously. Have a listen, you won't regret it. Also, follow them on Twitter, 'Like' them on Facebook, and they'll get signed if they get to 1000. That'd be great.


2. Ben Dodson
A friend who is a dab hand with a guitar. It's unusually mournful, but again makes me swing away from my rock tendencies. Have a listen;


3. Less Obvious Vibe Effect
This is a bit closer to what I normally like; their genre is listed as "Pop/Grunge/Alternative".  I can remember them playing, I can remember them being good, but not a lot else. I'd link you to some of their music, but they don't have any up. As it is, here's a link to their ReverbNation page, which has show listings on there. 

4. Trudy Sings The Blues
This 3-piece from Sheffield didn't play at the concert. Their style comes across to me as a much more lo-fi version of The View with a bit of Arctic Monkeys thrown in, but that's just me.Their label of 'lo-fi garage' fits like a glove, but don't take it from me, have a listen. 
They're up on SoundCloud, here. Two of my favourites of theirs; 


And that pretty much concludes my musical ravings for another while. 

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment